One of my favorite things about winter is that it dulls my need for variety in breakfast food and I am happy to eat oatmeal every single morning. Warm, filling, and oh-so-customizable. On any given day, I may add apple, banana, cinnamon, peanut butter, almond butter, maple syrup, agave nectar and soymilk – or any combination thereof. My love of oatmeal also reminds me of my grandpa, who always started the day with oatmeal and a grapefruit. Today, I am grateful for oatmeal, and….
- Weekly game nights with friends
- The first cross country ski trip to the Arboreteum this year with Diene
- Mindless Christmas movies on tv
- Morning meetings with cool people
- a warm apartment
- a Christmas tree left to decorate
- the fact that Memorial Library allows guests to use its facilities
- making new friends
- Africana and the community it offers
- paychecks and direct deposit
- facebook and the stalking of old friends that it normalizes
- the results of hard work reminding me that hard work pays off
One response to “Monday morning oatmeal”
I eat oatmeal every winter morning, too. My favorite combo so far: almond milk, cinnamon, cloves, bananas, walnuts and a big tablespoon of canned pumpkin. It’s so yummy and keeps me full for a looong time.